Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tasting Through March


What's a Donnoli?  It's a donut filled with cannoli filling.  I saw this advertised on our local news a few weeks ago.  It was made by the bakers in a Shop-Rite store north of here.  I told HWNSNBP to be on the look-out for them coming to our local Shop-Rite and last week he spotted them.  Of course they had doubled the price from what the news report said they were originally sold for - I guess the publicity they got made them so wanted they could ask their price.  

Although the news anchors oohed and aahed I was not a fan.   I think it might have been better closer to room temperature instead of right out of the refrigerator.  

The Bit-o-Blarney popcorn pictured below was a hit at work.  I found this recipe on Happier Than A Pig in Mud (click link for recipe).  


As the blog owner says, it's kind of like lime flavored Cracker Jacks.  I left the bag in the faculty room and it didn't take long to empty.   I only had sugar-free lime jello which tasted okay but was not as liquidy as it probably should have been for coating the popcorn.  


This is not your ordinary Yellow Delicious apple.  I don't particularly care for them.  But I was willing to give this yellow gem a try.  It's called an Opal Apple and it was very tasty.  Not mealy like I find Delicious apples to be.  We found these apples at the Fresh Market.  I've been eyeing a Lemon Risotto Cake in their prepared salad section.  It's not a bakery item, more on the line of a crab cake or hush puppy.  Maybe this weekend?

Do you like to try new varieties of things?  I find that I'm usually willing to give things a try in the sweet or salty category, but not so much with savories unless recommended by trusted family or friends.   Of course when Rachel was home a couple of weekends ago and found the new Ben and Jerry's Core ice creams at Target you know I had to try them.  Well, 3 out of 4 of them.  And the Salted Caramel was first and foremost my favorite.  

What have you tried lately?

1 comment:

  1. I try to eat more apple than ice cream, but salted caramel ice cream is the best!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.